A teacher of something or another since 1986, Jen teaches with humor and humility, weaving life’s foibles & lessons into classes, trainings & retreat offerings… so we can be less of an asshole off the mat.
Jen considers herself first a student of yoga. That, and a warrior against toxic positivity and faux “love and light” in the wellness industry. ((( shivers )))
She’s had lots of opportunities to make colossial mistakes, act like a jerk and have more than one relationship implode.
Her mistakes are her most effective teachers, TBH. Even though she wishes her lessons were less expensive and painful, they’ve always been a springboard for transformation.
Jen has actually had human teachers, though. Among her early influences – way, way back in the late ’90s – were Shiva Rea and NYC’s Om Yoga. Since then, she’s
suffered through evolved at chant camp with Jai Uttal, Buddhist meditation with Stephen Cope, and spent an excruciating week at tried vipassana meditation.
These things were really hard.
((( What no one in the yoga biz will tell you: It’s normal to feel like a failure at meditation. But the good news: You can do hard things! )))
Jen is further influenced by annual visits to India, and Judith Hanson Lasater, with whom she studied over the course of six years. Her greatest gift from Judith (thank you, J) was empathy.
In late 2016, her meditation practice (and life) changed forever during a chain of events where she unintentionally landed in a Kundalini Yoga class.
Had she known what was up, she never would’ve entered the classroom, bc Kundalini = weird AF: Ppfft. All that strange airy-fairy flowy white clothing and caucasian folks appropriating Sikh “spiritual names” and turbans.*. Bizarre.
Despite all that, by 2019, she’d completed 500 hours of intensive study in the tradition. She currently focuses her inquiry on Kundalini Yoga and Meditation, regularly commuting to Los Angeles & New York to study at Ra Ma Institute..
After 20 years of trying and failing, she finally found the meditation style that clicked. Lesson: Don’t ever compare your insides with other people’s outsides (esp if they’re “meditating” in a curated hair/makeup photo shoot on Instagram).
Jen’s classes are …. hard to describe. We’re not even going to try. Just come (with an open mind, sense of humor and a willingness to get messy).
Aside from all that: Jen has a master’s degree in education, taught high school journalism from 1996 – 2014, and is honored to serve as Twist Yoga School’s education director. In her spare time, she hangs with her terrific kiddo & walks Greenlake with Chewie-the-dog and a podcast. Also: Dog side-eye, taking naps & exploring the world are her other favorite things.
Most of all, Jen feels honored to be part of Twist Yoga because this community is a real sanity saver. 🙂
* Jen believes in the techniques of Kundalini yoga because they’ve helped her begin to resolve her trauma and subconscious BS; however as a WASPY white person, she does not believe in appropriating sacred Sikh practices of wearing turbans and adopting spiritual names that are historically handed down to Sikh individuals at birth.
Jen Mitchell, M.Ed, ERYT 500, KRI: Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 2019 – Guru Jagat, Immense Grace Solstice Workshop, 36 hrs, Los Angeles.
- 2019 – Guru Jagat. Aquarian Yoga Business Academy, 36 hrs, New York City.
- 2019 – Samara Andrade. Trauma Informed Yoga Training, 20 hrs, Twist Yoga.
- 2018 – Guru Jagat. Aquarian Womens Leadership Society, 40 hours. New Lebanon, NY.
- 2018 – Guru Singh. Kundalini Yoga as Taught by Yogi Bhajan, 240 hr certification, Seattle.
- 2018 – Guru Jagat. Aquarian Yoga Business Academy, 36 hrs, Los Angeles
- 2017 – Kia Miller & Tommy Rosen. Kundalini Yoga pranayama & yogic lifestyle Intensive, 120 hrs, Rishikesh, India.
- 2017 – Judith Hanson Lasater . One True Thing, 20 hrs, Edmonds, WA.
- 2016 – Judith Hanson Lasater . Semi-private mentorship, 80 hrs, San Francisco
- 2015 – Judith Hanson Lasater. Non-Violent Communication Intensive, 20 hours, Edmonds, WA
- 2014 – Stephen Cope. Loving Kindness Meditation Intensive, 40 hrs, Kripalu, Massachusetts.
- 2013 – Twist Yoga. 500 hour teacher training, Edmonds, Washington.
- 2013 – Judith Hanson Lasater. Level 2 Restorative Yoga Teacher Training, 20 hrs, San Francisco
- 2013 – Jai Uttal. Bhakti Yoga Chant Camp, 40 hrs, Breitenbush, Oregon.
- 2012 – Maty Ezraty. Ashtanga Mysore Intensive, 100 hrs , Goa, India.
- 2011 – Judith Hanson Lasater. Restorative Yoga Teacher Training, Level 1, 20 hrs, New York.
- 2011 – Rod Stryker, 20 hrs, & Sarah Powers, 20 hrs, Seattle, Wa.
- 2009 – 8 Limbs Yoga. 200 hour teacher training, Seattle, Wa.
- 2004 – 8 Limbs Yoga. Advanced teacher training, 50 hrs, Breitenbush, Oregon.
- 2000 – Cyndi Lee. OM Yoga teacher training, 100 hrs, New York
- 1999 – Shiva Rea. Prana Flow Yoga, 100 hrs, Kripalu, Mass
- 1998 – Stephanie Adams. YogaFit Level 1 & Level 2, 40 hrs, Seattle.
- 1997 – ACE Personal Training/Group Exercise certification
- 1996 – Brigham Young University. Masters Degree in Education & Curriculum Methods.
- 1992 – University of Washington. BA, Business Administration