A yoga teacher since 1997, Jen teaches with humor and humility, weaving life’s gifts and challenges into classes, trainings & retreat offerings… ultimately so we may live a sweeter life off the mat.
Jen considers herself first and foremost a student of yoga and a lifelong learner.
She has had the honor of studying with senior master teachers in the US and abroad. Among her early influences- way, way back in the late ’90s – were Shiva Rea and NYC’s Cyndi Lee at Om Yoga. Since then, her teaching (and practice) has evolved by chanting with Jai Uttal at Kirtan Camp , exploring loving kindness meditation with Stephen Cope at Kripalu in Massachusetts, as well as drop ins with local teachers at various Seattle studios.
Jen is further influenced by regular stops at Ra Ma Institute in Los Angeles, Jivamukti Yoga in NYC, annual visits to India, and Judith Hanson Lasater, with whom she’s studied semi-privately.
In 2018, she completed 240 hours of intensive study in the Kundalini tradition with senior master Kundalini teacher Guru Singh.
Currently, Jen’s classes are a unique mix of traditional hatha/vinyasa postures, Kundalini kriya and meditation. Depending on the day, students in her classes might also experience japa mantra, meditation, pranayama or kriya in addition to asana. As an instructor, she invites individual exploration of the body, breath and mind as she believes that each student is their own best teacher.
Jen has a master’s degree in education and curriculum methods, taught high school journalism from 1996 – 2014, and is honored to serve as Twist Yoga School’s education director. In her spare time, you might find her hanging with her daughter, growing vegetables in her backyard garden, or walking Greenlake with Chewie-the-dog and a podcast. Taking naps & traveling the world (even though she’s terrified of flying) are two of her favorite things.
Most of all, Jen feels honored to be part of Twist Yoga in Edmonds as she loves the energy, inspiration and unity that a yoga studio creates within the community.
Jen Mitchell, M.Ed, ERYT 500, KRI: Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 2018 – Guru Jagat. Aquarian Womens Leadership Society retreat, 40 hours. New Lebanon, NY.
- 2018 – Guru Singh. Kundalini Yoga as Taught by Yogi Bhajan, 240 hr Level I certification, Seattle.
- 2018 – Guru Jagat. Aquarian Yoga Business Academy, 36 hrs, Los Angeles
- 2017 – Kia Miller & Tommy Rosen. Kundalini Yoga pranayama & yogic lifestyle Intensive, 120 hrs, Rishikesh, India.
- 2017 – Judith Hanson Lasater . One True Thing, 20 hrs, Edmonds, WA.
- 2016 – Judith Hanson Lasater . Semi-private mentorship, 80 hrs, San Francisco
- 2015 – Judith Hanson Lasater. Non-Violent Communication Intensive, 20 hours, Edmonds, WA
- 2014 – Stephen Cope. Loving Kindness Meditation Intensive, 40 hrs, Kripalu, Massachusetts.
- 2013 – Twist Yoga. 500 hour teacher training, Edmonds, Washington.
- 2013 – Judith Hanson Lasater. Level 2 Restorative Yoga Teacher Training, 20 hrs, San Francisco
- 2013 – Jai Uttal. Bhakti Yoga Chant Camp, 40 hrs, Breitenbush, Oregon.
- 2012 – Maty Ezraty. Ashtanga Mysore Intensive, 100 hrs , Goa, India.
- 2011 – Judith Hanson Lasater. Restorative Yoga Teacher Training, Level 1, 20 hrs, New York.
- 2011 – Rod Stryker, 20 hrs, & Sarah Powers, 20 hrs, Seattle, Wa.
- 2009 – 8 Limbs Yoga. 200 hour teacher training, Seattle, Wa.
- 2004 – 8 Limbs Yoga. Advanced teacher training, 50 hrs, Breitenbush, Oregon.
- 2002 – Cyndi Lee. OM Yoga teacher training, 100 hrs, New York
- 2000 – Shiva Rea. Prana Flow Yoga, 100 hrs, Kripalu, Mass
- 1998 – Stephanie Adams. YogaFit Level 1 & Level 2, 40 hrs, Seattle.
- 1997 – ACE Personal Training/Group Exercise certification
- 1996 – Brigham Young University. Masters of Education.
- 1992 – University of Washington. BA, Business Administration