Our current collectives need to heal trauma and release stress is unprecedented. Join us for this 10-hour Intro to Somatics workshop and you’ll learn basic somatic techniques to self-correct and heal.
What is somatic movement? Somatics is a movement practice that helps to re-educate the way our brain senses and moves our body. Our muscles can become tight or restricted due to development reasons, habitual patterns, emotional stress, injuries or trauma. Somatic – Greek for ’the living body’ – are the gentle movements are used to re-educate the brain so the body can relax and move more functionally. Benefits include improved mobility, strength and posture and the reduction of pain related to chronically-tight structures.
Curious practitioners will benefit from this workshop. Yoga & healing professionals will be able to up-level their offerings, especially if your current toolbox is feeling stale. Join us, and you’ll learn an introduction to:
- A brief history of somatics
- The science behind somatic movement and how it relates to training your nervous system and brain
- How somatics relates to yoga and can be beneficial for students with pain/injury.
- The science of movement regression/progression
- How to incorporate healing somatic movements into movement practices
- Creative ways to incorporate somatic cueing and sequences into yoga classes
- Innovative ways to use props
Training Schedule, subject to change:
- 11:00: Gentle Yoga with somatics
- 12:15: Somatics basics: history and philosophy
- 1:30: Somatics & Yoga: techniques
- 2:30: Break
- 3:00: Somatics & Yoga: techniques
- 5:30: Closing
- Noon: Somatics Yoga Class
- 1:30: Somatics basics: techniques
- 2:45: Putting it all together
- 4:00: Closing
Bring items to support your comfort while in training i.e. layers of clothing, water, snacks, props etc.
- No Mud No Lotus – Thick Nhat Hanh
- Your Body is your Brain, Amanda Blake
- The Body Keeps the Score, Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Trauma and Memory, Peter Levine
- Anchored, Deb Dena
Training Location: In Studio, Edmonds*
Tuition: $245 if registered by 4/1. $295 after.
Cancellation Policy: Refunds available, less a 15% administration fee, up to 14 days prior to workshop. No refunds, transfers of tuition to another event or account credits allowable after that time.
- In the case of mandatory government shut downs or inclement weather, all curriculum will move to Zoom.