Yoga and Ayurveda have long been linked together and share a common purpose of brining harmony to the body, mind and Spirit. In this 20-hour, Yoga Alliance certified training, you’ll learn how to marry Ayurveda with your teaching and personal practice. Join Ayurvedic Counselor Kate Towell to explore Ayurveda in depth and how to apply its principles as yoga therapy.
This weekend is not your same old Ayurvedic Training. While we will briefly review the main principles of Ayurveda, the majority of the course will be dedicated to diving deep into Ayurveda as yoga therapy. We will discuss diagnostic techniques beyond the dosha quiz – including alignment assessment and, as time allows, pulse and tongue readings. We’ll also study asana, pranayama, mantra and meditation for balancing each dosha. You will learn appropriate sequencing for each dosha, tri-dosha, seasons, time of day and time of life.
We will use Downward Facing Dog as a tool to diagnosis dosha imbalances in an individual and prescribe a practice to restore harmony. By the end of the weekend you will feel confident in the skill of diagnosing -beyond the same old dosha quiz- any individual’s imbalances, as well as increased skills in developing a yoga class or personalized sequence for each dosha, season and time of day.
This weekend will be fun and interactive. Through asana practice, lecture, direct experience, practice teaching and feedback, you will gain with the ability to confidently find ways to use these transformative concepts in your own practice or impart them to your students.
Friday, 11:05am – 4pm
– Asana – Earth to Sky
– Journey through the Elements Flow
– Review of the foundational principles of Ayurveda
– The importance of the Gunas and 3 guiding principles
– Brining Ayurveda to the mat – where Yoga and Ayurveda meet
– Technique & practicum: Using Downward Facing Dog as a diagnostic tool for Vata,Pitta, Kapha imbalance in an individual.
Saturday, 11:05am – 7:30pm –
Vata in depth – discussing common imbalances, location in the body, review of Down Dog location and creating balance though asana, meditation, pranayama and class considerations.
– The 5 Vayus
– Getting grounded
– Vata asana practice (45 mins)
– Pitta in depth – discussing common imbalances, location in the body, review of Down Dog location and creating balance though asana, meditation, pranayama and class considerations.
– The importance of Agni
– Balancing the Fire Element
– Pitta asana practice (45 mins)
– Kapha in depth – discussing common imbalances, location in the body, review of Down Dog location and creating balance though asana, meditation, pranayama and class considerations.
– Lighten Up – Kapha balancing asana practice (45 mins)
– Technique & practicum: Breaking into groups and diagnosing an individuals imbalance using Downward Facing Dog technique. Prescribe appropriate asana, support the individual through a short practice then asses the spine in Dog Dog and report findings.
– Group discussion and feedback
– Putting it all together
– How to bring what we learned into any class, private sessions and your own practice.
– Meditation and restorative asana practice
Training Location: Twist Yoga, 122 5th Avenue S, Downtown Edmonds, 98020
Training Schedule: Friday: 11:05–4. Saturday: 11:05-7:30. Sunday: 11:45-4:15.
Tuition: $295 if registered by Jan 5. $355 after.
Cancellation Policy: Refunds available, less a 15% administration fee, up to 14 days prior to workshop. No refunds, account credits or transfers allowable after that time.
Recommended Reading: Yoga for your Type, by David Frawley. Yoga and Ayurveda, by David Frawley is also recommended.