200 Hour Yoga SchoolWith Kate Towell, ERYT 500+ Apply now »
Our Approach: Get better at being you. Then, help others.
Class of 2021 is full. Our next course begins January 2022; please email email@example.com to be on the notification list.
Begins January 15, 2021.
Our school helps yoga-lovers who want to be part of something special immerse themselves in the life-altering powers of yoga.
As a student, you’ll deepen your practice and dive into your own life using the lens of yoga to sharpen your self-awareness. For sure, you’ll get stronger. You’ll probably make some lifelong friends & connections. More importantly, you’ll empower yourself to make radical shifts in your own magnificent life.
And bonus! Kate, our playful and vibrant lead trainer /slash/ yoga genius, will help you learn how to thrive in your health & wellness through yoga’s powerful sister science of Ayurveda. Because having the tools to feel well for the rest of your life is so potent.
If you feel the call to help others, we will offer you the tools to teach. We believe the best instructors teach from a place of their own unique internal wisdom: As you build clarity in your own practice, you’ll learn how to help others develop their own.
Intentionally limited to 12 trainees.
12 0 spots remaining.
What you get
You’ll have fun! You’ll make friends and be forever connected to 11 other yogis in your training class. Your personal practice, self-awareness & understanding of yoga will deepen. You will be qualified to register with the Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour level. You will be supported by our trainers and your fellow trainees.
Who should apply
Yoga-curious individuals who love learning, are ready to be part of something pretty special and are ready to dive in to their own life. (Be ready: things will change!)
How is Twist Yoga School different?
Oh, you mean what sets us apart from the dizzying amount of teacher training options offered in the PNW alone?
First of all: We’re funny AF and won’t take ourselves too seriously because we’re too old for that nonsense. (Well, one of us is anyway, lol) . And: we subscribe to a model of learning that’s meant to be enjoyable & relevant to your life. Plus: We limit enrollment because we care more about your experience than cashflow.
Second, if you want the credentials, we have them. Twist Yoga’s education programs already meet 2020 updated Yoga Alliance registry standards and (unlike most programs) are licensed as a vocational school through the state of Washington. We’re seasoned veterans: We’ve been a Yoga School since 2009 and have trained hundreds of teachers. Also, collectively, our trainers:
- hold a masters degree in education,
- developed the original PE yoga program in Edmonds School District,
- have a PhD in physical therapy
- are lifelong learners with tens of thousands hours of collective yoga training education.
- have been training yoga teachers for a really long time.
- (That’s the short list)
Teaching something or another since 1986, Jen wholeheartedly believes each student is their own best teacher. Acting as training director, she draws on decades of mistakes & foibles which have enabled her to laugh at herself and see things clearly, 24+ years as an educator and thousands of hours being first and foremost a student herself. Click here for a complete bio.
Anatomy, applied anatomy and kinesiology.
As a physical therapist and yoga therapist, Meghan integrates the scientific understanding of anatomy and physiology within yoga asana. Meghan does not ask you to memorize bones and muscles; her teachings offer the opportunity to learn through lecture and experiential practice to personally gain a deeper understanding of your amazing body. Click here for a complete bio.
- Yoga philosophy
- Yoga sutras
- History of yoga
- Yogic lifestyle
- Anatomy for Yogis
- Applied anatomy
- Asana alignment
- Energy/subtle body
- Teaching methodology
- Language, voice awareness & learning methods
- Finding your voice
- Practice teaching
- Business of yoga
- Your authentic brand
Included in the coursework: The 200 hour training is comprised of 140 hours of teacher/student classroom hours and 60 hours of independent study (6 hours self-selected workshops/trainings with RYT teacher of choice + 54 hours of self-study including but not limited to assigned readings, personal asana practice and assigned homework), to be completed over a 6 month period.
Class of 2021: Training dates, times & location**:
- January 15, 16, 17 (Friday 8:00*-5pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4pm)
- February 2 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- February 19, 20, 21 (Friday 9:30-5pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4pm)
- March 9 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- March 19, 20, 21 (Friday 9:30-5pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4pm)
- March 30 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- April 16, 17, 18 (Friday 9:30-5pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4pm)
- April 27 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- May 14, 15, 16 (Friday 11:00 – 6:00pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 9:30-3:30pm)
- May 25 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- June 11, 12, 13 (Friday 9:30-5pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4pm)
* Jan 15 begins at 8am with welcome breakfast.
** In the event of a mandated shut down, all meeting times will be moved to Zoom. In-person training locations (masks required): Friday (Richmond Beach), Saturday (Edmonds), Sunday (Richmond Beach), subject to change.
All students of yoga with a desire and dedication to learn about the practice encouraged to apply.
To earn certification, trainees will:
- Enjoy a home practice.
- Attend all portions of training (although make up opportunities exist)*
- Anticipate 1-2 hours of reading and/or homework per week.
- Complete homework on time & pass final exam
- Complete 2 hours of observation of yoga classes + 6 hours of self-selected study topics
* The 200-hour certification is based on classroom hours with your trainer. Hours missed must be made up with our instructors at our private training rate of $55 per hour. It is possible to miss up to an entire weekend and attend one of our weekend CEU’s + meet with trainer for 1.5 hours to save on training rate.
Investment: Tuition options
- Earliest bird (10/15 application deadline): $2795*
- Early bird: (11/15 application deadline): $2895*
- General enrollment (apply after 11/15): $2995*
- Absolute deadline to apply: January 5.
Need a payment plan or would rather use a credit card? No problem, just add $200 to each tuition category.
* Price if paid in full by check by 12/15. Tuition does not include supplemental books & materials for training, or 6 hours of independent study of student’s choice
Twist Yoga School accepts scholarship applications in an effort to create more inclusivity in yoga. Currently, we offer one 25% &
one 50% (50% claimed for 2021) tuition relief to curious and committed students whom:
- Identify as marginalized and faces systemic economic, political, social and cultural barriers, many of them embedded in local laws and social norms. Marginalized communities often include, but are not limited to: rural populations, person with disabilities, refugees, immigrants, BIPOC, indigenous populations, ethnic minorities, members of LGBTQ+ community.
For scholarship information, please email our education director: firstname.lastname@example.org
We at Twist Yoga think the following texts are a must for any serious yogi’s library; so much so that they are on the required reading list for our Twist Yoga Teacher Training.
- Light on Yoga Sutras, BKS Iyengar
- Yoga Anatomy, by Leslie Kaminoff
- Skill in Action, by Michelle Johnson.
Teacher Training Recommended Reading List:
– Yoga Anatomy, Kaminoff/Matthews – Hatha Yoga Pradipika, – The Little Book of Hindu Deities, Sanjay Patel – The Upanishads, Anonymous – Eastern Body, Western Mind, Judith Anodea – The Breathing Book, Donna Farhi – Anatomy of Movement, Blandine Calais-Germain – The Heart of Yoga, TKV Desikachar – Yoga for Wellness, Gary Kraftsow – Light on Prahayama, BKS Iyengar – Bhagavad Gita, Barbara Stoler Miller – Meditations for the Mat, Rolf Gates – Healing Mantras: Using sound affirmations for personal power, creativity and healing, by Thomas Ashley Farrand – Yoga & Ayurveda, by Dr. David Frawley