200 Hour Yoga SchoolWith Janell Hartman, ERYT 500+ Apply now »
Our Approach: Get better at being you. Then, help others.
Begins January 20, 2023.
We help yoga-lovers immerse themselves in the life-altering powers of yoga.
As a yoga school student, you’ll deepen your practice and dive into your own life using the lens of yoga to sharpen your embodiment and self-awareness.
For sure, you’ll get stronger.
You’ll probably make some lifelong friends & connections, with the opportunity to grow from the community that yoga fosters.
More importantly, you’ll empower yourself to make radical yet sustainable shifts in your own life.
And bonus! Janell, our joyful and wise lead trainer will help you learn how to thrive in your health & wellness with her career experience in natural health therapy, knowledge of Chinese medicine and Ayurveda. Because having the tools to feel well for the rest of your life is potent and practical.
If you feel the call to help others, we will offer you the tools to teach.
We believe the best instructors guide from a place of their own unique internal wisdom: As you build clarity in your own practice, you’ll learn how to help others develop their own.
Intentionally limited to 16 trainees.
16 4 spots remaining.
What you get
You’ll have fun! You’ll make friends and be forever connected to 15 other yogis in your training class. Your personal practice, self-awareness & understanding of yoga will deepen. You will be qualified to register with the Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour level. You will be supported by our trainers and your fellow trainees.
Who should apply
Yoga-curious individuals who love learning, are ready to be part of something pretty special and are ready to dive in to their own life. (Be ready: things will likely change!)
How is Twist Yoga School different?
Oh, you mean what sets us apart from the dizzying amount of teacher training options offered in the PNW alone?
First of all: We’re funny AF and won’t take ourselves too seriously because we’re too old for that nonsense. (Well, one of us is anyway, 😃 ) . And: we subscribe to a model of learning that’s meant to be enjoyable & relevant to your life. Plus: We limit enrollment because we care more about your experience than cashflow.
Second, if you want the credentials, we have them. Twist Yoga’s education programs already meet 2020 updated Yoga Alliance registry standards and (unlike most programs) are licensed as a vocational school through the state of Washington. We’re seasoned veterans: We’ve been a Yoga School since 2009 and have trained hundreds of teachers. Also, collectively, our trainers:
- hold a masters degree in education,
- developed the original PE yoga program in Edmonds School District,
- have a masters degree in physical therapy
- are lifelong learners with tens of thousands hours of collective yoga training education.
- have been training yoga teachers for a really long time.
- (That’s the short list)
Since 2012, I’ve successfully trained and empowered hundreds of folks in Restorative yoga, Taoist Yin yoga and 200 Hour teacher trainings at Twist Yoga.
Teaching myself since 2005, you can expect strong, safe, life-affirming instruction – including some playful elements of dance and martial arts – in my yoga sessions, with a spirit of inclusivity and accessibility for any level of practitioner. My reverence for the natural world is reflected within class structures which honor the flux of seasonal energies that influence our physiology and emotions.
Teaching something or another since 1986, I wholeheartedly believe each client is their own best teacher. Acting as training director, I draw on decades of mistakes & foibles which have enabled me to laugh at myself and see things a little more clearly, 24+ years as an educator and thousands of hours being first and foremost a student myself. Click here for a complete bio.
Anatomy, applied anatomy and kinesiology.
As a physical therapist and yoga therapist, I integrate the scientific understanding of anatomy and physiology within yoga asana. As a trainer, I won’t ask you to memorize bones and muscles; instead you’ll learn through lecture and experiential practice to personally gain a deeper understanding of your amazing body. Click here for a complete bio.
- Yoga philosophy
- Yoga sutras
- History of yoga
- Yogic lifestyle
- Anatomy for Yogis
- Applied anatomy
- Asana alignment
- Energy/subtle body
- Teaching methodology
- Language, voice awareness & learning methods
- Finding your voice
- Practice teaching
- Business of yoga
- Your authentic brand
Included in the coursework: The 200 hour training is comprised of 140 hours of teacher/student classroom hours and 60 hours of independent study (6 hours self-selected workshops/trainings with RYT teacher of choice + 54 hours of self-study including but not limited to assigned readings, personal asana practice and assigned homework), to be completed over a 6 month period.
Class of 2023: Training dates, times & location**:
- January 20, 21, 22 (Friday 8:00*-4:30pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4:45pm)
- February 2 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- February 16, 17, 18 (Friday 9:30-4:30pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4:45pm)
- March 7 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- March 17, 18, 19 (Friday 9:30-4:30pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4:45pm)
- April 4 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- April 21, 22, 23 (Friday 9:30-4:30pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4:45pm)
- May 2 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- May 19, 20, 21 (Friday 9:30-4:30pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4:45pm)
- June 6 (online, Tuesday 5:30 – 8:00pm)
- June 16, 17, 18 (Friday 9:30-4:30pm, Saturday 9:30-6pm, Sunday 10-4:45pm)
* Jan 20 begins at 8am with welcome breakfast.
** In-person training locations: Friday (Richmond Beach), Saturday (Edmonds), Sunday (Richmond Beach). In the event of weather-related or mandated shut downs, all meeting times will be moved to Zoom. All subject to change.
All students of yoga with a desire and dedication to learn about the practice encouraged to apply.
To earn certification, trainees will:
- Enjoy a home practice.
- Attend all portions of training (with advance planning, or in case of emergency, make up opportunities exist)*
- Anticipate 1-2 hours of reading and/or homework per week.
- Complete homework on time & pass final exam
- Complete 2 hours of observation of yoga classes
- Complete 6 hours of self-selected study topics
Make up hours
The 200-hour certification is based on classroom hours. Hours missed must be made up with our instructors at $85 per hour. To save on make up rates, is possible to miss up to an entire weekend with advance notice – or in cases of emergency – and attend one of our weekend CEU’s + meet with trainer for 3 hours + pay 3-hour studio rental.
Investment: Tuition options
- Earliest bird (10/15 application deadline): $2795*
- Early bird: (11/15 application deadline): $2895*
- General enrollment (apply after 11/15): $2995*
- Absolute deadline to apply: January 10.
Need a payment plan or would rather use a credit card? No problem, just add $200 to each tuition category.
* Price if paid in full by check within 7 days of acceptance. Tuition does not include books & supplemental materials for training (aside from included manual), or 6 hours of independent study of student’s choice
Twist Yoga School accepts scholarship applications in an effort to create more inclusivity in yoga. Currently, we offer one 25% & one 50% tuition relief to curious and committed students whom:
- Identify as marginalized and face systemic economic, political, social and cultural barriers, many of them embedded in local laws and social norms. Marginalized communities often include, but are not limited to: rural populations, person with disabilities, refugees, immigrants, BIPOC, indigenous populations, ethnic minorities, members of LGBTQ+ community.
For scholarship information, please email our education director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Required Reading List
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice, Desikachar
- Functional Anatomy of Yoga: Guide for Practitioners and Teachers, by David Keil
- Bringing Yoga to Life, by Donna Farhi.