200 Hour RYT Yoga SchoolWith Michele Hausman Apply now »
Our Approach: Reveal Your Best Self. Then, Prepare to Teach.
Reveal your best self. As a student in Twist Yoga’s teacher training, you’ll deepen your own practice and get better at being you.
For sure, you’ll get stronger physically. More importantly, you’ll empower yourself to facilitate change in your own life through yoga’s transformational teachings. Self limiting thoughts and actions will have less of hold on you.
Then, if you feel the call to inspire others, you’ll be prepared to teach. At Twist Yoga, we’ve always believed the best instructors teach from a place of deep wisdom. After building clarity in your own practice, you’ll have a foundation for helping others to develop their own.
Rather than craft a program that is just for deepening your practice or just preparing you to teach, we’ve created a space for both. First, you’ll deepen your personal knowledge of the 8 Limbs of Yoga, including yoga lifestyle, asana and meditation.
Then, if you feel called to inspire others, our 200-hour, Yoga Alliance certified and licensed Washington vocational school program prepares you to teach yoga with clarity, compassion, and confidence.
What you get
Your personal practice will deepen. You will be qualified to register with the Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour level. You will have the ability to confidently stand up in front of students anywhere and offer a meaningful yoga class. You will be guided and supported every step of the way by inspiring and experienced Twist Yoga teacher trainers, Michele Hausman, E-RYT 500, assisted by Meghan Sultenfuss, PT, RYT & Jen Mitchell, E-RYT 500, M.Ed.
Who should enroll
Any student of yoga (we recommend 6-12 months of regular practice prior) is welcome to apply for our teacher training program. It is meant to deepen the student’s personal practice while also setting the foundation for those interested in teaching yoga.
Jen has over 18 years of experience in the classroom, both as a high school teacher and yoga teacher. Her contribution to the training will be in teaching methodology and the business of yoga.
Michele has always been a student of movement; ballet, jazz and aerobics. She
has also always been a student of human behavior. Majoring in psychology at college and dabbling in Myth and Jungian psychology.
Meghan attended Boston University and graduated with her B.S. in Health Sciences in 2003, and her M.S. in Physical Therapy in 2005.
- Yoga philosophy and ethics
- The art of teaching yoga
- Asana alignment
- Language, voice awareness & learning methods
- Anatomy for Yogis
- Chanting & mantra
- Actual teaching practice
- Independent study: Personal practice, asana classes, one-on-one work with teacher/mentor
Included in the coursework: The 200 hour training is comprised of 140 hours of teacher/student classroom hours and 60 hours of independent study (6 hours self-selected workshops/trainings with RYT teacher of choice + 54 hours of self-study including but not limited to assigned readings, personal asana practice and assigned homework), to be completed over a 6 month period.
Schedule (Check back soon for class of 2018, beginning January, 2018)
Our 200 hour training is comprised of two training sections.
- In-Studio training – Part one. At Twist Yoga in Downtown Edmonds, beginning the 4th Friday of each month (Jan – Apr), except May, when me meet the 3rd weekend to accommodate Memorial Day.
- Yoga retreat – Part two is a five-day intensive residential retreat in late June, 2018, at Breitenbush Hot Springs
Training dates and times for 2018;
- Part one training weekends: Friday – Sunday: Jan 26-28, Feb 23 – Feb 25, Mar 23 – 25, Apr 27 – 29, & May 18 – 20.
- Weekend training hours include Fridays, 9:30-5:15. Saturday, 9:30-6. Sunday, 10:15-4.
- Part two: 5 day intensive, culminating training retreat at Breitenbush Hot Springs, June 25-29
Aside from your instruction, included in your tuition is:
- Training & reference manual
- A yoga retreat! A 5-Day training retreat (a $1000 value) at Breitenbush Hot Springs in June, 2018 (shared cabins)
Applicants must have at least one year consistent yoga practice with a Yoga Alliance certified instructor. Students must complete an application to be considered for Twist Yoga Teacher Training.
As a teacher trainee, you will be expected to :
- Practice with Michelle at least once a week, either at Twist Yoga, privately or at Community Fitness. Exceptions will be made for students residing outside a 10 mile radius.
- Establish a healthy home practice.
- Attend all portions of all weekend intensives*
- Complete approximately 2 hours of reading and/or homework per week.
- Procure required props and books for required reading list.
- Completion of required reading assignments and homework turned in on time.
- Passing grade of 70% on final exam.
- Attendance at culminating teacher training retreat.
- 2 hours of observation of yoga classes
- Complete 6 hours of self-selected workshops/trainings with RYT teacher of choice
* The 200-hour certification is based on classroom hours with your trainer. For this reason, any hours missed must be made up with our instructors at our private training rate of $55 per hour.
2018 tuition and payment options:
- Pay in full: A total of $2,795* (Oct 15 early application pricing) if paid in full by check by December 15.
- Payment plan option: A total of $2,950* (early registration), paid in 5 equal monthly installments charged to cc on file.
All training hours, all inclusive 5 Day June yoga training retreat at Breitenbush Hot Springs Resort (double occupancy – an $1000 value).
Tuition does not include membership required to practice with Michele at least once a week, required books & materials for training, 6 hours of independent study of student’s choice, and transportation to/from training retreat.
- You’ll receive $200 off full tuition if we receive your application prior to Oct 15.
- You’ll receive $100 off of full tuition if we receive your application prior to Nov 15.
- Absolute deadline to apply: January 15.
We at Twist Yoga think the following texts are a must for any serious yogi’s library; so much so that they are on the required reading list for our Twist Yoga Teacher Training.
- Light on Yoga, BKS Iyengar
- Bringing Yoga to Life, Donna Farhi
- Jivamukti Yoga, by Sharon Gannon and David Life
- Functional Anatomy of Yoga, by David Keil.
- The Heart of Yoga, by TKV Desikachar
Teacher Training Recommended Reading List:
– Yoga Anatomy, Kaminoff/Matthews
– Hatha Yoga Pradipika,
– The Little Book of Hindu Deities, Sanjay Patel
– The Upanishads, Anonymous
– Eastern Body, Western Mind, Judith Anodea
– The Breathing Book, Donna Farhi
– Anatomy of Movement, Blandine Calais-Germain
– The Heart of Yoga, TKV Desikachar
– Yoga for Wellness, Gary Kraftsow
– Light on Prahayama, BKS Iyengar
– Bhagavad Gita, Barbara Stoler Miller
– Meditations for the Mat, Rolf Gates
– Healing Mantras: Using sound affirmations for personal power, creativity and healing, by Thomas Ashley Farrand
– Yoga & Ayurveda, by Dr. David Frawley